[sldev] Re: "But your IP wouldn't be safe"

Nicholaz Beresford nicholaz at blueflash.cc
Mon Jul 9 18:19:18 PDT 2007

Boroondas Gupte wrote:
>  > Since when is getting someone's IP address an "attack"?
>
> The IP itself won't be the problem for almost anyone, nor won't
> connecting the IP to an SL account. What scares (some) Residents is the
> possibility to tangle their SL account with their RL identity via their
> IP and third party web services that require RL data.

Well, the last time I checked (at least in the non 3rd world
countries), it took a police search warrant (or similar legal
construct) to connect an IP to real world person.

And I can assure you, if someone does has a search warrant,
LL will happily (and with sugar on top) hand out the IP from the
connection a certain avatar was using at a certain time.

For someone without a warrant the information will be pretty
useless, and for someone with a warrant it will merely be one
extra step.

Nick

----
Second Life from the inside out: