[sldev] Re: "But your IP wouldn't be safe"

Tateru Nino tateru.nino at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 00:52:15 PDT 2007

Well, if I have your avatar name, and IP - and let's face it, if you've
commented on a blog I run, I probably do, or if I glom it through a
media-stream trick, or if you posted to a mailing list just like this
one - there _are_ things I can do to isolate your real identity.

I can check the contributions in wikipedia associated with your IP
address, or search through publically archived email lists to establish
other identities you may have, real or assumed. Contributory or
outspoken people are pretty easy to find all things considered.

I'm not taking a side on good/bad here, because (frankly) I don't have
one. However, that's basically the primary, easy-to-do use of IP
addresses *if* you want to compromise or discover someone's identity. I
don't have any interest in doing so, and I bet most or none of you do
either. There will always be a few who do though, I suppose.

Tateru Nino
http://dwellonit.blogspot.com/