[sldev] https very slow.

Rob Lanphier robla at lindenlab.com
Wed Jul 11 08:31:02 PDT 2007

On 7/11/07 12:53 AM, Laurent Laborde wrote:
> Some of us are complaining about *really* slow jira while some other
> one say it's "not that bad".
>
> I noticed that  https://wiki.secondlife.com/ is insanly slower
> (unuseable) than http://wiki.secondlife.com/
> (http vs https)
>
> Is it possible that, somewhere in the nested network, http and https
> and not routed in the same way and https may be superslow for some
> location in the world ?

I've been hit by wiki.secondlife.com being unusably slow too, and I'm
already working with our vendor.  The problem, we suspect, is that we're
relying on NFS where we really shouldn't be.  We think that one machine
in the cluster will get blocked because NFS stalls somehow; the others
are fine and so most people don't see the problem.  The http vs. https
distinction is only important because you're probably going to hit a
different machine in the cluster when you switch protocols (view source
on the html, and look at the bottom of the page to confirm this).

We're going to be addng memcached in the mix (and thus, subtract much of
our NFS reliance).  We're hoping that fixes things.  It's going to take
some time to get things set up, so in the meantime, sorry.

As near as we know, this has nothing to do with any issues in Second
Life itself.  The only connection between the two is logins, and that
only hits the SL infrastructure at the time of login, not on subsequent
attempts.  While it's /possible/ that we're running into an awful
blocking problem on the login stage, we don't think that's what's going on.

We're on it, but if you want, go ahead and file a ticket in JIRA and
then let everyone know what that ticket is.  I'll give further updates
when we think we've got this issue fixed.

Rob