[sldev] https very slow.

Gary Wardell gwardell at gwsystems.co.il
Wed Jul 11 09:29:12 PDT 2007

> On 7/11/07 12:53 AM, Laurent Laborde wrote:
> > Some of us are complaining about *really* slow jira while some other
> > one say it's "not that bad".
> >
> > I noticed that  https://wiki.secondlife.com/ is insanly slower
> > (unuseable) than http://wiki.secondlife.com/
> > (http vs https)
> >
> > Is it possible that, somewhere in the nested network, http and https
> > and not routed in the same way and https may be superslow for some
> > location in the world ?

Hi,

>From a provider's stand point, only pages/requests that need to be encrypted should be encrypted.  Pages/requests that don't have
sensitive information on them shouldn't be, as encrypting those places significant unnecessary load on the server.

Hosts, such as financial institutions, that require a high number of pages to be encrypted use SSL accelerators on the front end
to off-load the encryption form their servers.

This (SSL accelerators) might be something to consider for in world transactions, but I doubt it's needed for jira or wiki logons,
but I don't have access to the numbers to be sure.  However, I don't see why SSL would be needed for jira and wiki content.

Gary