[sldev] https very slow.

Nicholaz Beresford nicholaz at blueflash.cc
Wed Jul 11 10:38:56 PDT 2007

Gary Wardell wrote:
> So, given that one can do monetary transaction through the viewer, it may need encryption.  However, if the transactions are
> actually done on the server, and no sensitive information is in the viewer, ...
>
> That being said, encryption would be superfluous for non-monetary transactions.
>
> Also, it is more than a few cpu cycles.  Actually it can be significant.  It also balloons the size of the payload so it requires
> more bandwidth.

I'm sure it's more than that (these were up to a few hundred
per minute as far as I remember).

It may have something to do with securing copyright (like
limiting the ability to intercept objects or textures through
a proxy), but dunno really ... just remember that I was
wondering about it at that time.

Nick