[sldev] "Tim Lister on Project Sluts and Strawmen" - Slashdotted Q&A bits

Dzonatas dzonatas at dzonux.net
Fri Jul 13 06:58:23 PDT 2007

How can you blame anybody when you know your working with a strawman
project to help people articulate?

For those into Q&A and missed or didn't see the slashdotted article: /

"Tim Lister, principal of Atlantic Systems Guild and co-author of
'Waltzing with Bears: Managing Software Project Risk,' and 'Peopleware:
Productive Projects and Teams' talks about the patterns that help
determine software success or failure
<http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/from-project-sl.html>.
Patterns good and bad include project sluts, Brownian motion, the
strawman, and the safety valve."/

----

    July 12, 2007

       From project sluts to strawmen: An interview with Tim Lister

Tim Lister is a principal of Atlantic Systems Guild and co-author of the
acclaimed books, /Waltzing with Bears: Managing Software Project Risk/,
and /Peopleware: Productive Projects and Teams. /Freelance writer Bob
Cramblitt spoke with Lister about the patterns that help determine
software success or failure.

*Cramblitt: /You're working on a new book.   Tell us a bit about it./*

*Lister:* Actually I'm working on it with the five other principals of
Atlantic Systems Guild.  The book is tentatively titled /Project
Patterns: From Adrenalin Junkies to Template Zombies/.  It's a series of
nearly 100 short essays on project patterns for good and bad.  If they
are healthy patterns, we talk about how you promote them within the
organization.  If they are dysfunctional, we tell you how to stop them.

*Cramblitt: /Let's start with the bad ones.  What are three things that
project teams can do to ensure failure?/*

*Lister:* One is what we call /Brownian Motion/, based on the physics
term defining a constant state of random motion.  In our definition, it
means loading a project with people when you still haven't decided what
you are actually going to do.

Another pattern is /project sluts/ -- organizations that can't say no;
they have far too many projects for the staff they have, and things
never get done.

We also see a pattern called /dead fish/.  This is a project that is
doomed from the start because the schedule is outrageously unrealistic.

*Cramblitt: /What are some good patterns?/*

*Lister:* One of the best is /strawman/: building low-fidelity, low-cost
prototypes for projects even if you know the approach isn't right.
Strawman projects help you discover where you are going wrong early on,
and help people articulate what they want and need.

/Seasons for change/ is a pattern that specifies that changes will be
made only during certain windows of time, avoiding problems with
constant tinkering.

/Testing before testing/ describes a pattern of doing quality assurance
in parallel with the project, instead of waiting until the end.  This
helps everyone understand project specs in the early stages of the project.

/Safety valve/ is another one.  People involved in projects need to blow
off steam and do goofy things like jump up in the afternoon and go
bowling.  There are other things related to this that are important too,
such as sharing food, and setting up opportunities for people to get to
know one another outside of work.  My dad once said, "it's hard to hate
someone when you know their name."

*Cramblitt: /Has project management improved in the 20 years since you
co-wrote /Peopleware/?/*

*Lister:* Yes, I think so.  More organizations realize that system
building is a deeply human activity, rather than a high-tech,
engineering effort.  People are looking at bigger projects differently.
Good organizations aren't doing things in a ballistic way -- where you
aim a gun, shoot, and the bullet goes where it goes.  The new approach
is more like driving a car: you drive a bit and if don't like where you
are going, you steer in a different direction.

I think the agile development people have a tiger by the tail.  They
don't attempt to build a perfect spec that will be the bible for the
next two years of development.  Instead, the approach is to spec a
little, build a little, run it by people and get some feedback, then get
another cycle going, continuing until you hit the moving target.  Larger
projects are much riskier, and agile development is a way to minimize risk.

*Cramblitt: /What do you think about the reliance on best practices?/*

*Lister:* I get chills when I hear that phrase.  From my point of view
there are some pretty good practices, but no best practices because that
implies generic software development.  All projects are related to the
domain they're in.  A best practice for defibrillator software is not
the best practice in another domain.  I'd like people to think about
patterns -- abstracting their work and recognizing the patterns they're
in, good and bad, and making informed decisions to promote those
patterns or replace them.

/Tim Lister will talk about project sluts, strawmen, safety valves and
much more at the Business of Software 2007 conference, October 29-30 in
San Jose. /

--
Power to Change the Void