[sldev] Why does the simulator do object culling for clients?

John Hurliman jhurliman at wsu.edu
Thu Jul 19 12:09:22 PDT 2007

Argent Stonecutter wrote:

> Unless there's going to be some kind of genuine privacy scheme
> implemented in SL (which is another topic near and dear to my heart,
> but not one I'm going to go into now), I don't think there's much that
> the client can't see in the sim it's in. The longest diagonal in the
> building zone of a sim is 849 meters, which means that an agent at
> <128,128,384> with a draw distance of 512 can see any object in the
> sim. Worst case, you can see well over 50% of the volume of the sim
> from any point in the sim, and from a corner you can see well over 50%
> of the volume of four sims at once.
>
> I think the only consideration given to the "privacy" issues of this
> scheme are that a sim should kill objects for clients in sims more
> than two sims away. That's a *cheap* calculation, and more an
> optimization than anything else.

You can actually have sim-culled privacy if you have a large enough plot
with ban lines and build everything very very small. The simulator won't
send *everything* in your draw distance, it culls small enough objects
that are far away enough from your avatar, putting a damper on
implementing good pathfinding code in libsecondlife.