[sldev] Why does the simulator do object culling for clients?

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 14:51:13 PDT 2007

On 19-Jul-2007, at 16:18, Jake Simpson wrote:
>> This approach would seem likely to make the existing problems with
>> rubberbanding exponentially worse.

> What issues specifically do you mean? I totally believe they are
> there, just trying to get a feel for what you guys feel they are?

Moving around in SL it's really common, even when there's only minor
lag, for both position and velocity to get badly out of sync,
resulting in snapback (rubberbanding) as you move around. Packet loss
makes this much worse, and it's not unknown to have rubberbanding
every few seconds. If you don't get position updates, the accumulated
errors are going to have more time to build up.