[sldev] Re: Getting a community/sandbox area in the SL SVN repository?

Rob Lanphier robla at lindenlab.com
Thu Jul 19 21:35:35 PDT 2007

Alright, let's go for it.  If you meet the following criteria, and you
are interested in getting an SVN account on svn.secondlife.com, let me know:

1.  You have a contribution agreement on file
2.  You have at least one patch accepted into the viewer (you show up in
doc/contributions.txt in the official builds)
3.  You are widely recognized as an active and positive contributor by
the community

#3 is subjective.  Basically, I want to make sure everyone working in
this branch is comfortable working together, and that we're comfortable
working with you.  We want there to be some sort of track record.

Note that svn write access is a privilege and not a right.  We reserve
the right not to give you access, and to yank your access for any reason.

As far as actually distributing any official builds from this
repository, that's TBD.  Let's get a good routine for getting the code
in, and then figure out a good routine for getting bits out.

I've created a sandbox directory here:
http://svn.secondlife.com/svn/linden/sandbox/

...but nothing has gone in yet.

I haven't yet created any actual branches.  I'd like to make sure we use
"svn copy" of an already checked in version of the code to serve as a
base point for any new branches.  It sounds like there's a few ideas for
long-lived branches.  Here's the guidelines I'd like to follow:

1.  Only check things into linden/sandbox.  The other areas are reserved
for code pushed from the official repository
2.  Let's get a consensus on the branch structure before we go nuts
creating new branches
3.  Only if a branch is going to be long lived should it be at the root
of linden/sandbox .  Everything else should go into a year-based
directory (e.g. linden/sandbox/2007/throwaway)

Rob