[sldev] Debian 1.18.0.6 packages uploaded (Was: shared objects output during standalone build)

Paul TBBle Hampson Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com
Sun Jul 22 08:37:25 PDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 08:27:05PM +1000, Paul TBBle Hampson wrote:
> Either way, I've not seen anything here that convinces me that private
> shared libraries aren't a good idea for my Debian package builds, so
> I'll still go ahead and futz with that when I have a little more time.

OK, futzed with as promised.

In fact, I ended up making all the client's create_static_module
calls into create_cond_module calls. [1]

This has reduced the build-time on my laptop to 1:50. I haven't tried a
fullly static build, but at some point over the last few releases I was
seeing consisten three hour build times.

I also expanded the use of the module_libs such that all the shared
libraries have NEEDED sections appropriate to their symbols (at least. I
haven't culled unneeded entries yet, I need to do a script for that),
except libllimagej2coj.so, which needs symbols from libllimage.so AND is
NEEDED already by libllimage.so. I doubt much can be done about that,
but really the whole NEEDED thing is mainly for my own amusement anyway,
although the eventual goal is to remove some of the NEEDED entries from
the client that are actually only needed by the libraries.

I strongly suspect the compile commands of much of this system could be
made drastically shorter (I mean the length of the actual commands, not
time taken or anything) by doing this. Newview is the overwhelming
majority of build-time, after all, and I would like to see if any gains
can be squeezed out by trimming -I's from the compile and -ls from the
link command.

The above futzing also turned up a buglet, llui's files.list showed a
header file in the list, for some reason. Removing it had no apparently
ill effects, unless I'm overlooking something.

Of course, I suspect from the discussion here earlier that most of the
above changes will be broken by the next release, but I hope not, since
it shows such a massive improvement in build-time, without any
substantial detriment otherwise. (I think it runs faster too, but that
could just be 1.18 itself or the latest openjpeg release...)

I also made more stuff pkgconfig'd [2], along the lines of the existing
pkgconfig stuff. (Thanks for that, by the way. It integrated a lot more
cleanly than my own changes did)

Those are the two most interesting patches, I think, the whole series is
available at [3]. I'll be going through and submitting interesting ones
to Jira next chance I get.

I'm pretty sure I already submitted 32 and 38, but 40, 42 and 44 I think
are good candidates, 45 is disabled and is Debian-specific anyway, and
we've already had a discussion about 49, to which this email is
attached, and which I still think I'm right about, but suspect I'm in a
fairly overwhelming minority.

Packages themselves are available if people are interested at [4], and
artwork package at [5]. Still just waiting on a response regarding the
artwork licensing, and then I think these are good to go.

[1] http://www.tbble.net/debian/slviewer/dpatch/49_shared_libraries_are_good.dpatch
[2] http://www.tbble.net/debian/slviewer/dpatch/44_pkgconfig_me_harder.dpatch
[3] http://www.tbble.net/debian/slviewer/dpatch/
[4] http://www.tbble.net/debian/slviewer/
[5] http://www.tbble.net/debian/slviewer-artwork/

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
On-hiatus Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/