[sldev] Re: SLDev Digest, Vol 7, Issue 110

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 16:19:24 PDT 2007

Farallon Greyskin writes:
> Not to mention that writing in single platform only code is going
> to be a
> BIG no-no.
>
> SL has gone to great lengths to make this code cross platform, the
> last
> thing we want to do is start fracturing it on an OS basis...
> Especially if
> you did plan on it being merged with the main code base. As long as
> it has
> to be rewritten for another platform it should be written cross
> platform to
> begin with.

I'm not sure what you're referring to here, but the point of
including the BSD licensed code is to make it *less* platform dependent.

There are basically three alternatives:

1. Write code that uses the POSIX standard strptime() routine, that's
available on all platforms except strict Win32 without Microsoft's
enhanced POSIX subsystem (Interix), and include a platform-
independent implementation of that routine.

2. Write code that calls strptime() on POSIX and some comparable
Win32 call on Windows, with the possibility that it might parse some
date differently on Windows and other platforms.

3. Implement a subset of strptime() by hand, with the possibility
that it will not be able to parse some date provided in the future...
or alternatively that it would lock Linden Labs into a limited date
format.

The first, truly, is the least platform-dependent.