[sldev] Translations

Dale Glass dale at daleglass.net
Fri Jul 27 04:04:57 PDT 2007

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 11:53:48PM +0200, Daniel Nylander wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to translate SL to Swedish. I have started by translating
> the XML files (which might not be correct). Problem is that I have
> serious problems finding information on how to do this.
> Can someone help me shed some light on this?

This reminds me of something I've been thinking about recently.

I'm adding new features to my viewer, and that means new floaters,
alerts, etc, I've only written the text in english so far.

What would be needed is some sort of SL translation oriented website.
I'm thinking something that parses the XML files and lets users submit
translations, with perhaps with some sort of voting system.

Note that I'm thinking about something somewhat different here -- not
translating all of SL as a big chunk, but allowing to translate things
in pieces, as I will keep developing, so new things to translate will
appear, and old things might change.

This should work fine on the official SL files though. By parsing the
XML files and storing data on changes and such it'd be possible to
easily determine what changed in a new release.

This can't be a very unique problem to solve, so I'm thinking that
perhaps there's software for this somewhere already, which could be
adapted to SL. Maybe some sort of forum software or such could be
adapted for this to save development time.

I've got tons of other things to work ATM, but if nothing comes up I
might give this a try eventually.