[sldev] Translations

Daniel Nylander po at danielnylander.se
Fri Jul 27 12:22:53 PDT 2007

Erik Hill skrev:

> Gettext is vary handy, ill admit. But if it was it would be best to redo
> the hole translation structure if gettext was used.
> One of the best things about gettext in my opinion is that there are
> tools to phrase actual source code.
> So the hole thing could be done with english and the use of the function
> _gettext(translate), then the source could be ran though a program to
> process all the gettext generating a pot file.

Changing the whole source code is a PITA.

> Then translations, would be done from that, saves a lot of time, and if
> a translations missing, the defaults used.

My method will result in the same. If there is no translation for a
string, the original string (English) will be used.

My suggestion is to appoint a Translation Coordinator who will lead the
localization work and be in close contact with the (future) translation
teams.

--
Daniel Nylander (CISSP, GCUX, GCFA)
Stockholm, Sweden