Message handling (was RE: [sldev] name of an object?)

Matthew Dowd matthew.dowd at hotmail.co.uk
Sun Jul 29 06:26:27 PDT 2007

> Only problem with that is that there can be only one
> handler per message, and the selection manager already takes it.

Yes, I came across this part of the viewer architecture when I was looking at llFloaterGroups.

To me this whole aspect of the viewer plumbing is extremely messy. Apart from the issue you can only have one handler per message (and have to write redirection handlers the way Able did if you want to), it also means that the setup of the message handlers is in a completely seperate place in the source code to the handler itself (you can't tell that llpanelavatar.cpp handles AvatarGroupsReply, AvatarClassifiedsReply etc. from the llpanelavatar.ccp code itself - and changes such as Able's makes it even harder to see what is happening).

It would make more sense and be cleaner (particularly from code clarity) if the message handling was a proper dispatcher allowing multiple classes to register handlers, and for the handler registration to be done within the classes which did the handling themselves rather than all n llstartup.cpp.

Unfortunately the above is quite a major undertaking - not in terms of implementations but in terms of testing through all the ramifications and potential side effects.

Matthew