[sldev] Voice

Soft Linden soft at lindenlab.com
Tue Jul 31 17:57:11 PDT 2007

I've seen a lot of comments about the new chatterbox panel, mostly
negative. For me (and I think many other Lindens), it's hard to tell
how many of the comments are resistance to changing something so
fundamental and familiar, and how much is real usability breakage. I
know I get pretty attached to one way of doing things after being
exposed to it for so long.

The design isn't set in stone, although what you see now will be,
roughly, what you see in the first release. Posting specific requests
and shortcomings as JIRAs will help a lot in evolving this into
something better-received, and many thanks to those of you who have
posted comments.

The bHear team will be pushing to have the final source released at
the same time as, or just before, the official launch. If you've got
things you'd like to change yourselves, you might visit Benjamin
Linden's usability office hours to propose ideas in advance and to
highlight existing chatterbox JIRAs you want to act on, based on your
reactions to the First Look version. If we see patches that
specifically note that you already ran an implemented idea by
Benjamin, we should be able to bring them in pretty quickly.