[sldev] Debian preliminary packages

Soft Noel soft at softnoel.org
Mon Jun 4 00:02:32 PDT 2007

On 5/30/07, Paul TBBle Hampson <Paul.Hampson at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 07:24:58PM +1000, Paul TBBle Hampson wrote:
> > On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 09:48:27AM +1000, Paul TBBle Hampson wrote:
> >> I've just posted the preliminary Debian packaging of
> >> slviewer, to http://www.tbble.net/debian/
>
> >> However, they don't actually work just now, due to both the
> >> missing res-sdl and character directories in the 1.15.0.2
> >> release tarball, and an error I get when I try to connect,
> >> "Ran off end of packet ObjectUpdate from 64.154.220.9:13004".
>
> > OK, fixed the packages, so they aren't missing files. ObjectUpdate
> > packet underrun still happens on agni though. -_-
>
> Just flicking back through the SLTraffic, and noticed that there might
> have been some expectation of binary uploads of these packages from
> me for arches other than PowerPC.
>
> I've not got any other system capable of building them for upload
> (or in fact, any other systems at the moment. -_-)
>
> The plan is to actually get these into Debian proper, so that
> the Debian buildd network will actually build the other arches
> for me. ^_^

In the past, Debian has not been good about accepting software that
needs to change often. Even software like SpamAssassin that's usable,
but which goes stale quickly, was met with resistance in the past.

Given that the viewer would only remain usable for a tiny fragment of
the typical Debian release cycle, would it make more sense to look at
something like the pine-tracker package, which merely makes note of
changes to the authoritative package elsewhere, or even the Sun
JavaSDK packages which centrally install and track the contents of
tarballs the user downloads to an appropriate directory?