[sldev] Preferred CAPS timeouts and retries?

Ryan Williams rdw at lindenlab.com
Wed Jun 6 16:07:01 PDT 2007

John Hurliman wrote:
> Ryan Williams wrote:
>> I have a few more questions:
>>
>>   -is this happening on socket open, or is it refusing to deliver data
>> over the open socket, or both?
>>   - what are the logs from the official client that you're reading to
>> determine that it's occasionaly problematic there?
>>   - have you noticed any pattern for which regions have the problem?
>>
>> Thanks for bringing this to our attention, BTW, we appreciate it.
>>
>> -RYaN
>>

> I don't have any of the old log files from the official viewer so I'm
> going to start looking for it again and save the log when it happens so
> I can post. Translating .NET callbacks in libsecondlife to what is
> actually happening at the lower layer, lets see here:
>
> BeginGetRequestStream succeeds
> EndGetRequestStream succeeds
> BeginGetResponse hangs (indefinitely?)
>
> So it looks like the socket opens, the client sends a request, but the
> server never sends a response. I only go to three or four sims in SL
> usually, but out of those I've most often noticed it in Ahern on a busy
> night. The sim turns in to what I call a "blackhole sim" because you can
> teleport in just fine, but since CAPS is unavailable in that sim there
> is no way to walk or TP out, and you get trapped in the sim.

Hi, sorry for the long delay on this, but we think we've identified one
issue that might cause this, and deployed the fix to the beta grid.

The problem that we identified was that the caps server was not
responding when an invalid cap was invoked, it should have been
returning a 404.  Now it returns a 404 instead of keeping the connection
open forever.

Would you let me know if you still see the issues with connecting to the
caps server on the beta grid?

-RYaN