[sldev] Re: More plugin / platform harping..

Tim Shephard tshephard at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 12:03:54 PDT 2007

What will win people into the platform are scenarios.

Apple is good at this, for example.   iPhoto, Email, Garage Band,
iWeb,  iMovie, etc.

What are the scenarios that win people into SL?

Connecting with friends, Dressing Up Your Avatar, Immersive Education,
Virtual Business Meetings, Games, Watching Virtual Sports, Community
Gatherings, etc .. the list goes on.

The key here is to enumerate the scenarios that bring out the value
proposition of SL - what can SL do that you can not do elsewhere.

Linden Lab's job is to provide a platform that enables us, as
developers, to implement those scenarios.  Lindex, Windlight, Voice ..
these are all perfect examples and well done.

That match that will light the wildfire will be plugins, an
application API for SL / 3D platform so we (the sldev) can implement
the software that will enable the scenarios, the killer apps that will
create real value in SL.

Pretty much every major applications has a plugin mechanism, and for
good reason.   None of them require a special license in order to
develop those plugins.