[sldev] Popup ordering patch

Matthew Dowd matthew.dowd at hotmail.co.uk
Sat Jun 23 15:49:33 PDT 2007

> The big issue with click-through isn't really having a popup timed to
> come up on top of an existing benign dialog, it's having a lot of
> similar dialogs up at once and clicking through them all to clear
> them... and having one of them take money from you.

I agree that is an issue, but not the one I was directly tackling. The issue I was tackling is when you have two dialogs in quick succession (as happens when shopping - the you have paid quickly followed by the you have received dialog). It is not uncommon (in fact surprisingly common) that the second dialog appears just as you are closing the first with the result it is the second which closes. Whether the action is reversible becomes somewhat mute as you often haven't had time to see what the dialog was.

> I don't think popup ordering should be changed, unless there's some
> kind of clear and obvious effect to clearly indicate that there's new
> dialogs coming in. For example, having a stylized stack with its
> depth proportional to the number of dialogs "below" the displayed
> dialog.

The way I've implemented the patch is although the dialog is placed at the bottom of the stack, I still call moveToBack() as that was the quickest why of ensuring the ">>>" button appears, and the appearance of that button is the visual clue there are more dialogs behind. moveToBack in turn calls triggerFocusFlash so there is also a visual clue when a new dialog comes in. This may not be as rich but I think sufficient. I'm afraid that the visual clues you describe go beyond my understanding of the code at the moment (I only started looking at the source code Friday!)

The other ordering also makes better sense when dealing with group messages etc when you first log on (I quite often read group messages which refer to or correct to an earlier group message which of course is further down the stack I'm working through). However, I suspect that some would like the reverse order and some would hate it, hence I made it configurable.

Matthew