[sldev] Just askin': How are we doing?

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Sun Jun 24 20:46:20 PDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-06-24 at 18:08 -0700, Soft Linden wrote:
> This raises a few questions for me. Firstly, from where you stand,
> *are* we doing better overall?

There seems to be a marked improvement recently, yes. Only time will
tell if LL will keep this up. :)

> Lastly, what can we still do better? Are there one or two things that
> frustrate you the most, which we could make part of our third quarter
> goals?

Jira's slowness and unreliability?

One concern is coordinating releases with downstream packagers. I'm
working on getting slviewer into Fedora. It would be nice if we could
get our hands on the final source code a day or two before a required
update, so we can have it built and ready once the grid comes back up.
Though then we'd also have to prepared to abort the update if LL decides
to do so...

Ultimately it would be nice to just have required updates go away
entirely, if I understand correctly, 1.18 is a step in that direction?
At the very least, allowing some version overlap would solve most of the
problem.

And... you know, it would be neat if maybe LL would put its weight
behind advocating for Open Source OpenGL drivers. And maybe, just maybe,
even put some development resources into them. The open source r300
driver works beautifully for OpenArena, (Gee, I wonder what the
developers are using as a test case :) but SL seems to be able to tickle
the driver in ways it's not ready for, locking up the entire machine
occasionally. (Or instantly, as the case is on my desktop machine...)

fglrx has yet to be updated to be compatible with Fedora 7, a prime
example of the problem with closed source drivers...