[sldev] Firstlook Voice... more memory leak ?

Laurent Laborde kerdezixe at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 06:48:30 PDT 2007

Hi,

when i run Secondlife on my PC (because of the 20" screen against my
15" macbook pro) i use a software named "O&O Clever cache". This
software have a very nice memory usage monitor.

Since i upgraded my PC with 3GB of RAM, i noticed a lot of performance
improvment and less crash. I guess that the overhead of swapping cause
a race condition, or some kind of memory inconsistency... and crash.

With firstlook i noticed that SecondLife can use up to 2GB of memory,
that never happened with the "regular client"... the memory usage is
growing over time... 'til crash.

I hate to say that, because i want voice, but : i think it should be
fixed before the "official" release of voicechat... swapping is the
cause of a MAJOR slowdown and most people have 1GB or less of RAM (and
fragmented disk and bad virtual memory managment and ...).

We said that voice won't generate more lag, and i believe this is
true. But this memory leak will generate an insane lag and crash. It
won't take more than a second for people to say "Voice = lag" and
"Linden Lab = Liar", "Fix teh bugz instead of adding features".

I have voice chat enabled on my 3 major french sims, with a traffic of
100.000 visitor per month.
We like voice, but most people switch back to the regular client.
Myself, i don't use FirstLook unless i planned to use voice. More
crash, FPS drop, ...

I wish i could help to find the memory leak, and analyze the
crashdump, ... but i don't know how.

--
kerunix Flan