[sldev] OpenJPEG vs KDU

Dirk Moerenhout blakar at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 16:39:24 PDT 2007

Ok, in light of VWR-866 I'm wondering what it would take for OpenJPEG
to replace KDU. I've heard that KDU would be faster. Anybody has an
idea on how much? I've build OpenJPEG 1.2 with VS2005 and did a quick
check using CodeAnalyst. A few minutes after my first run I got a 0.5%
benefit with 1 minor change. That may sound minor but given the
simplicity of the change I guess some real effort would give us quite
a bit more.

Is it worth it? How much speed do we need to aim for? What parameters
would LL want to use if we switch to OpenJPEG (then I can optimise
towards that first).

Dirk aka Blakar Ogre