[sldev] Opening the server source?

Mike Monkowski monkowsk at watson.ibm.com
Fri Jun 29 14:27:10 PDT 2007

Adam Frisby wrote:
> The key here however is that LL wants to be ready to accept outside
> servers before they enable it. Right now the server is extremely trusted
> - everything occurs on the server. Money handling, etc is just a few of
> the things that could be exploited.

That's the point I was trying to make.  It doesn't happen on "the"
server, it happens on several types of servers: login server,
userserver, dataserver, simulator, central backbone, agent database,
central database, search database, map server, and RPC server.

I don't know who gets the message stream from the viewer, but if it is
the simuator, then just split that functionality out into a message
server owned by LL.  Let the viewer send two message streams.  Tell the
sim server only what it needs to know to keep track of agents, objects,
and scripts.  If the sim needs to communicate with other sims, it can go
through the message server.  The sim need be only a physics engine.  How
dangerous can physics be? :-)

> Kelly's email from earlier is really worth looking at for the reasons as
> to why LL wont be opening the sim any time soon (however I dont doubt it
> will happen, just probably not in the next 12 months.)

Yeah, I read that, but thought the other side of the discussion needed a
few more words.

Mike