[sldev] Is there a way to compile the SL viewer faster?

Dale Glass dale at daleglass.net
Tue Mar 13 14:11:51 PDT 2007

В сообщении от 13 марта 2007 21:46 Tobias Lang написал(a):
>  Hello,
>
> I would be interested how you folks are dealing with the very long
> compilation time of the SL viewer. I understand that the initial
> compilation takes 30 min, but the linking process always takes
> minutes on my P4. How are you guys developing like this? Better
> machines, very careful programming? Or is there a magic switch?
>
> Thanks,
> Tobias

Out of curiosity, I did a quick test.

Compilation seems fairly disk intensive, especially linking. Linking
takes 1 minute here.

So, you could speed it up by using a RAID (I have a RAID-1), or by
building on a RAM disk (which I plan to try as soon as I upgrade my
memory).

On Linux, the compilation process seems to create the object files
in /tmp. A quick check indicates that there are 330MB of files are
created during compilation, so moving that to a ramdisk is possible.
But you'd probably need to sync that to disk, as otherwise after
rebooting the computer it'd require a full rebuild.

For me, this is fairly satisfactory, I generally don't compile that
much in a day. Linking doesn't fail very often, as mistakes that
cause it to fail are rare, and compilation errors are faster to
correct.