[sldev] Voice=Proprietary

John Hurliman jhurliman at wsu.edu
Wed Mar 14 05:08:05 PDT 2007

Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 16:15 +0100, Boroondas Gupte wrote:
>
>> That would be the old question of the cathedral and the bazaar
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cathedral_and_the_Bazaar>. Linden Lab
>> will have to make clear where they see their open source efforts on the
>> scale between those extreme paradigms.
>>

> Uhhh. "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" is a comparison of two open source
> development models. It is an attempt to quantify the development model
> pioneered by the Linux kernel in contrast to previous projects. It is
> not a continuum. In particular, the whole point of the the essay is to
> portray "The Cathedral" as an antiquated anachronism of a bygone era.
>
> Linden Lab can't have it both ways. They will learn this sooner or
> later.

I think I signed up for the wrong mailing list. Is there a mailing list
for people who discuss coding and development? I am not a lawyer or even
a paralegal, I have no background in copyright law or contract law, and
I have nothing to contribute to 99% of the traffic for "sldev". Not
trying to downplay the importance of analyzing the sociopolitical
impacts of Linden Labs choice of licensing terms, but I don't have time
every day to sift through the traffic every day and find the odd person
that is actually writing code.

John Hurliman