[sldev] Re: Second Life User Experience

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 09:32:30 PDT 2007

On Mar 13, 2007, at 10:40 PM, Bane Darrow wrote:
> I think this is all great, but this is long term and only one
> issue, the inventory.

It's also something that LL needs to support... we're talking about
things that require server-side changes. For client-side work...

> I guess my original feeling was that there's much more than that,
> and lots of little things that can be done to improve the
> experience. But, I guess I'm getting the impression I'm the only
> one. For example, why can't I have a simplified IM mode like most
> MMOs without the windows?
>
> /tell Bane Darrow Hey, how's it going?
>
> Why can't I use colors in chat? Just seems there's a lot of low-
> hanging fruit that could be done in the short term while long-term
> planning goes on.

That's stuff that could be easily implemented in the open source
client. Trap "/tell" in the input, and start up an IM session (if
there isn't one running already) and send that line without opening
the IM window. If you have IM showing in chat, you wouldn't need to
open your IM window to see the response, so that's pretty much all
you need to get started.

Why don't you do it?