[sldev] message_template.msg ordering andpacking : attentionLLfolks

Tleiades tleiades at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 16 13:04:25 PDT 2007

Thanks for pointing me to the transscript, it made for some interesting
reading, but a few things in the transscript worries me a little.

The message template has one big advantage which I fear will be lost ...
documentation ..., it is not as if there is an overwhelming amount of
documentation. The message template file is about the only place where it is
possible to get a decent picuture of the communications protocol, frankly I
hate the capability system because it is so poorly documented (or at least I
haven't been able to find any).

Hence my first major concern about the upcomming changes: "Documentation"

The second might be me reading too much into a single sentence, but asked
about an option in the protocol to disconnect from a polling session the
reply was:

"Zero Linden: Well, the current viewer code doesn't have a UI for that"

This suggests to me that the focus of the changes are the capabilities of
the SL viewer, rather than focus on the capabilities of the protocol in its
own right. Having open sourced the viewer, makes it inevitable that the
protocol will be used by other applications, and a single minded focus on
the capabilities of the official SL viewer will lead to a scenario where the
SL protocol will exist in several flavours.

Tleiades