[sldev] Multithreading, Garbage collection, Caching

Laurent Laborde kerdezixe at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 06:59:46 PDT 2007

On 3/18/07, Tleiades <tleiades at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Third, - I admit this is speculation - but I doubt that CPU is the true
> bottleneck for the SL viewer.

As far as i know, the JPEG2000 decoding cost a lot of cpu time in SL.
What about multithreading this ?
Secondlife have to be multithreaded anyway. Newer CPU won't run faster
(we're stuck between 2Ghz-3Ghz since a long time ago now).
SL need faster cpu : cpu won't be faster
CPU are now dual, quad, maybe octocore : SL have to be multithreaded
to run faster.

I'm going to buy a QuadCore + 4GB RAM + 8800GTX 768MB VRAM.
I'd like to have some kind of "advanced" option saying :
- Fell Free to use the 3 other core to decode jpeg2000, audio, QT
coded, cache managment.
- Load all the cache into RAM
- Cache the whole sim's textures into the VRAM if you think it may help.

crash ? You lose your cache ! Well... usually, when you crash the
client, your cache is fuxored... so .... why not ?

--
Kerunix