[sldev] Re: Texture caching, pipeline, memory

Dzonatas dzonatas at dzonux.net
Wed Mar 21 11:57:56 PDT 2007

Argent Stonecutter wrote:
> You're forgetting laptops (which tend to be slower AND harder to
> upgrade), Mac users (a pretty recent Mac mini has a 1.42 GHz PPC with
> a Radeon 9200 and no upgrade path), international users and users on a
> fixed budget.
True that laptops are harder to upgrade, and I don't see many being
supported/held-onto anymore that can't upgrade to XP.  I do hear people
who try. You run the figures to upgrade an older laptop, and you see
that it is less expensive to just by a new one (or used but better than
your old one).

> Like ZOMG, i see these littel iPod and MP3 players with more GBs of
>
> Um, no, you don't. Your typical MP3 player has a megabyte of RAM, a 40
> MHz RISC CPU, and a few gigabytes of NAND flash that can only be read
> and written in fixed blocks - basically RAM-disk-only.
2GB SDram card... average $100 -- 1GB of memory average $100.

Yes, many of those are flash only and state that they don't last as long
as main memory (DDR, vram, etc). However, I know I've been able to use
the memory in my digital camera much longer than the time I replace the
memory in my computer!

When people count the total amount of memory in your computer, do you
also add whats on your video card?  *smirk*