[sldev] Reformatting Textures for the cache

Morse Dillon morse at morsedillon.com
Thu Mar 22 19:39:01 PDT 2007

John Hurliman wrote:
> I've been saying for a while that SL should do away with 1024 textures
> as well and make 512x512 the upper limit unless they plan on upping
> the minimum system requirements. Just a couple 1024x1024 textures will
> have a 64MB graphics card switching to AGP texturing (using system
> memory to store textures), clog the AGP bus and drop you from 7fps to
> less than 1. If you want to provide high quality photo portraits to
> people, give them a web link. If you want to texture 3D objects in a
> real-time online world, keep your minimum system specs in mind. I
> haven't looked at that part of the rendering pipeline yet but in the
> best case scenario SL is taking your video memory size in to account
> and possibly downscaling the images.

I disagree with this on a very fundamental level.  Artificial limits
like this are what dates software, and it would be a mistake to do so
with an application like SL that has a bright future ahead of it.
512x512 is not sufficient for quality texture work, and furthermore the
number of people running 64MB graphics is fewer and fewer each day.  I
would rather see SL moving toward taking full advantage of 512MB+ video
memory rather than handcuffing it to the past.  If it takes an increase
in the minimum specs, so be it.

-M