[sldev] GPLv3 Draft 3 : Re-licensing vs. Sublicensing

Dzonatas dzonatas at dzonux.net
Wed Mar 28 20:47:33 PDT 2007

This is just a notice (not for discussion here) that the a new draft of
the GPLv3, "Draft 3," is available.

It appears there many concerns have been handled about being able to
re-license code under the GPL with the new draft. It appears that one
does not need to grant copyright permission as one would with the GPLv2
in order to re-license. One only has to set up the terms for the ability
to sublicense code. Also, it makes it so that other works that usually
aren't GPL-compatible (under GPLv2) to be compatible, but it depends on
that other work's license terms.

Here is a link:

http://gplv3.fsf.org/rationale
[ Show » <https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/MISC-62> ]
Dzonatas Sol
<https://jira.secondlife.com/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=Dzonatas+Sol>
[28/Mar/07 04:01 PM] I have not sent the e-mail as of this comment. It
appears the GPLv3 draft 3 addresses the concern, but I still have to do
a full review. Torely, the issue is obviously known. I just don't want
to describe it here in detail to avoid being burned by an potential
exploit when LL has already made rules to not make such exploits public.
Here is a link to the new GPLv3 draft 3: http://gplv3.fsf.org/rationale