[sldev] First shot at building source.

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Thu May 3 12:14:57 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 01:44 -0500, Alan Grimes wrote:
> Hello, newbie here. (Gentoo linux)

Rice.

> 1. Including third party libraries with your distro is very bad karma.
> It garentees that your stuff will rapidly become bloated and
> unmaintainable. Many of the libraries in the current distribution can be
> deleted and the client still runs against the host libraries with no
> visible impact on performance.

The third partly libraries are in an optional seperate tarball.

> 2. When including headers from libraries, always use the <>'s... Use the
> compiler -I flag to direct it to specific include paths... Most of the
> compile errors (building against system libraries), I've seen so far
> have been solvable by changing "foo/bar.h" to simply <bar.h>

The proper thing to do is call pkg-config/sdl-config. I have a patch
that does this.

> 3. What's up with xmlrpc-epi? It seems to be a dead package... Why not
> maintain it in house instead of applying 20 patches to the stuff on
> sourceforge?

Or port to xmlrpc-c, which seems a bit more lively and has wider use.

http://xmlrpc-c.sourceforge.net/

> 4. What advantages does Fmod have over SDL's sound library?

Apples and oranges. fmod is a kitchen sink, implementing 3D
spacialization and codecs and streaming audio etc. SDL is a minimal
layer, providing a buffer period callback and nothing more.

Implementing OpenAL is on my to-do list.

> 6. What i really need is a multithreaded client. I have a 1.2ghz dual
> athlon... Getting a bigger machine would be pointless if I can only use
> 1 CPU. =(

Rice. (It is multithreaded.)

> 7. There seems to be some issues compiling against Nvidia's openGL
> headers. I'd love to use DRI/Mesa but IT DOES NOT WORK. Seems to be a
> glext call without including glext and enabling the prototypes...

Mesa headers work fine. You don't have to nor should you compile against
nvidia headers to use nvidia drivers.

> 8. It'd be incredibly useful to have a pre-made kdevelop config file for
> this project. Kdevelop is awesome at helping you find suboptimal code! =)

Submit a patch.

> Okay, that's enough for the nite, the current build error is:

> /tmp/atg/home/atg/source/linden/indra/i686-linux-client-release/llrender/llimagegl.cpp:139:
> error: 'glActiveTexture' was not declared in this scope
> /tmp/atg/home/atg/source/linden/indra/i686-linux-client-release/llrender/llimagegl.cpp:140:
> error: 'glClientActiveTexture' was not declared in this scope
> /tmp/atg/home/atg/source/linden/indra/i686-linux-client-release/llrender/llimagegl.cpp:
> In static member function 'static void LLImageGL::unbindTexture(S32)':
> /tmp/atg/home/atg/source/linden/indra/i686-linux-client-release/llrender/llimagegl.cpp:148:
> error: 'glActiveTexture' was not declared in this scope
> /tmp/atg/home/atg/source/linden/indra/i686-linux-client-release/llrender/llimagegl.cpp:149:
> error: 'glClientActiveTexture' was not declared in this scope
> /tmp/atg/home/atg/source/linden/indra/i686-linux-client-release/llrender/llimagegl.cpp:
> In member function 'BOOL LLImageGL::bindTextureInternal(S32) const':
> /tmp/atg/home/atg/source/linden/indra/i686-linux-client-release/llrender/llimagegl.cpp:410:
> error: 'glActiveTexture' was not declared in this scope
> scons: ***
> [/tmp/atg/home/atg/source/linden/indra/i686-linux-client-release/llrender/llimagegl.o]
> Error 1
> scons: building terminated because of errors.

RTFM.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Common_compilation_problems