[sldev] Privacy Pocket

Jason Giglio gigstaggart at gmail.com
Fri May 11 14:55:32 PDT 2007

Dale Glass wrote:
> ? ????????? ?? 11 ??? 2007 05:55 Jason Giglio ???????(a):
>> * Parcel owner would be able to enable a parcel option that would
>> make from 650m-768m on the z-axis private.
> Why this arbitrary area specifically? I'd implement this as a new sort
> of primitive. Simply create a box (I'd like spheres too) in whatever
> area you want, and assign it access parameters.

It's not arbitrary.  It was selected as a compromise between the ability
to navigate aircraft over the mainland and room for the privacy pocket.

This range actually would enhance flying over the mainland, as it would
encourage skybox builders to build inside the pocket, rather than at all
altitudes randomly.

The "privacy bounding box" idea has also been proposed in Jira and I
marked it related to mine.  It is more complex to implement and use, and
it also would allow people to block large swaths of the mainland
reducing the ability to navigate aircraft and fly over parcels.  Instead
of random skyboxes, you would collide with invisible privacy pockets all
over the place, less than ideal!

> This also reminds me of a suggestion I already made before:
>
> Change the way banlists and land access work. Instead of this annoying
> fence, simply make the sim pretend there's nothing there. People
> could move over the land, but wouldn't see anything in it, and
> somebody on the parcel wouldn't see the unallowed person either.

I'm not sure the current Havok implementation can deal with that.

> This would still work nicely for keeping annoying people out, and at
> the same time remove the walls that make it so annoying to fly
> around.

Thanks for your feedback.

-Jason