[sldev] Issues with TextureBuffer size

Nicholaz Beresford nicholaz at blueflash.cc
Mon May 21 03:38:39 PDT 2007

> We're going to have to bite the bullet on this sooner or later. As we're
> entering the era of consumer 64bit, the datatype used in memory size
> calculations needs to be increased. I see two options, both of which
> could be done:
>
> Use size_t. This is kind of what it's meant for, isn't it? This would
> have the possible advantage of automatically being 64bit on 64bit
> platforms, and 32bit on 32bit platforms.

I have it addessed in my version of of the patch (couldn't upload to
jira on sunday) now, I'm simply doing
a cap to 31 bits in case an overflow occurrs ... I guess a size for
texture memory of 2GB should be find
for some time to come, without having to change too much (not that it
couldn't be done, but I guess
that patch would be lying on the shelfs of Jira like sour beer).

But you have something there ... I'll check the source for other
references to system memory size and
will see what happens there.