[sldev] Preferred CAPS timeouts and retries?

John Hurliman jhurliman at wsu.edu
Mon May 21 16:37:41 PDT 2007

It seems like someone has been doing upgrades on the CAPS servers these
days and they perform a lot better than they used to (the turning point
seemed to be shortly after group IMs were converted to CAPS and everyone
complained). The 502 errors are back but that's not actually a problem,
at least we can connect to the servers now most of the time. The other
few times when an initial connection doesn't succeed, it seems to be
because of a server problem and the next couple of connection attempts
will also likely fail. I've seen up to 20 failed connections before a
successful one (using 30 second timeouts), and one libsecondlife user is
reporting 40 failed connections followed by a successful one (using 60
second timeouts).

Is 60 seconds too short of a timeout for establishing the initial CAPS
connection? What is a preferable timeout? After a certain number of
retries should we just give up to prevent the already half-dead server
from getting hit even more, or just keep trying until it works (although
only some bots have the luxury of waiting around for 40 minutes before
teleport and group IMs will start functioning)?

John Hurliman