[sldev] [RFC] Object to Object Instant Messaging Proposal

kelly at lindenlab.com kelly at lindenlab.com
Tue May 29 08:09:06 PDT 2007

> The technical reasons why there isn't arbitrary o2o communications:
> 1. It requires tracking of objects for the entire grid, currently objects
> must register/poll for communications (email and xml-rpc) which does not
> require this type of tracking.
> 2. Gray Goo (DDoS0.

Sadly (1) is true and false at the same time.  It is true that such a
feature would require tracking of objects across the entire grid, probably
with some form of object presence registration.  And ... sadly both
XML-RPC and object email force a sort of presence registration that is a
central load point / central point of failure.  If you ever wonder why
xml-rpc is so crappy sometimes this is a big reason why.

Further o2o communications will probably move the presence tracking task
out to the end user.  In this case for example the call would more likely
be
llMessageObject(key object_id, key region_id, string message) or similar.
Any http handler counterpart to llHTTPRequest would also likely require
region information, either a UUID or a name.

If you are interested in talking about these issues I usually recommend
Zero Linden's office hours, although I think he has guest speakers
scheduled at the moment. There is info about his office hours at
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Zero_Linden

And there is discussion relevant to o2o communications I think at
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Zero_Linden/Office_Hours/Discussion

 - Kelly