[sldev] Patch to Address Debit Permission Spoofing

Able Whitman able.whitman at gmail.com
Wed May 30 08:05:10 PDT 2007

The problem is that once an object has taken your money, it's too late.
There is very likely no remedy to be had after-the-fact. LL has stated (not
unreasonably) that their refunding of L$ taken fraudulently is contingent on
their ability: a) to  have evidence to suggest that it was in fact taken
fraudulently and who took it, and b) to recover the money from whoever took
it.

Of course, as others have pointed out, malicious scripts are rare. But the
need to grant an object the debit permission is also rare, or at least it is
uncommon. And once granted it is difficult to both revoke the permission and
to seek remedy for fraudulent debits.

Having SLURLs on the transaction history would be extrememly helpful. So
would having something a refund permission. All I'm trying to do with this
patch is raise the visibility of prompts for the debit permission, so users
have a little more information about the implications of granting it.

--Able