[sldev] AWG: Geometric Content Creation

Mark Burhop mark.burhop at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 10:56:40 PDT 2007

On 11/1/07, Argent Stonecutter <secret.argent at gmail.com> wrote:

> My one comment is related to storage.
>
> In the diagram you have "optimised" and "client-specific" storage.
>
> I think that naming implies a division that could lead to problems in
> the future.
>
> Implementation-wise, of course, you could have two separate stores.
> But I think the conceptual model should retain a single store for
> each asset, with properties referring to the original format, the
> localized (agent-optimized) format(s), and possibly client-specific
> formats uploaded by a client for caching. Each properties could be
> local data, a local cache of the data, a local reference to data in
> an optimized store, or simply the URI for data that hasn't been
> downloaded (for example, no client has requested that particular
> client-specific property, or the asset is in an object's inventory
> but never rezzed, and only some properties have been accessed).

Yes, I think I agree with that.

Part of the reason I differentiated it in the diagram was because of the two
conflicting needs of wanting high performance, low bandwith graphics (like
the current SL Prims) and wanting richer content (NURBS, meshes, BREP,
whatever).

A second reason was to allow for a view of an incremental move from today's
SL to a future open VW (based on AWG standards).  So the "Optimized" could
be thought of  as SL today (or near term),  adding "Client Specific" could
be an interim step, and eventually everything becomes "Client Specific" and
SL's current optimized prim model is just one example of a "Client Specific"
format.

I'll think about it this and try to come up with something better.