[sldev] Article in LinuxWorld

Mike 1337mail at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 18:27:05 PDT 2007

I simply love this quote from the article:

" "I've never really worked on a C++ codebase as large and complex as
Second Life before, so I don't have a lot of basis for comparison. But
the codebase overall seems to reinvent a lot of wheels: It doesn't
take advantage of existing libraries as much as it could, and the
various subsystems are not very well abstracted from each other," says
Callum Lerwick, an aspiring video game developer, who works with the
Fedora project and has been developing the Second Life client for that
distribution.   "

It sums up my feelings(and experience) perfectly. From what I've seen
the code is archaic(to a degree) due to the fact that a large portion
of it hasn't been updated since it was initially built(during this
timespan, many libraries were developed that are a LOT better than
what's in SL right now). However, I am excited that it seems
significant work is being done in overhauling the viewer at LL. I
think a large portion of the code can be replaced by open source
libraries, and I hope this gets a lot of attention in the overhaul.

-- Mike