[sldev] [META] "Sandbox:" namespace on the wiki?

Rob Lanphier robla at lindenlab.com
Thu Nov 8 18:29:09 PST 2007

Hi folks,

At the open source meeting today, we spent a fair amount of time talking
about how wiki.secondlife.com would be used for AWG proposals:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Open_Source_Meeting/2007-11-08

A problem that we have right now (and one that existed before AWG, but
became more acute now) is that we at Linden Lab host the wiki primarily
as a resource to collaborate with the community on documentation and
code designs.  As a result, we think that people are coming to the wiki
with the hope that they're going to find either material that documents
Second Life as it is or soon will be, or with roadmap material that
Linden Lab had some hand in creating.  While a wiki is always more of a
"reader beware" zone than many places on the Internet, we'd like to
aspire to keeping the main namespace as an area tailored to our intended
audience.

That said, we don't mind providing an area for people not affiliated
with Linden Lab to collaborate on material that they hope to get Linden
Lab's buy-in of, but haven't gotten it yet.  We just want to make sure
that material is in a different spot, and is clearly marked as such.
Our current solution is to move that type of material into the User:
namespace for the person who started the document.  However, there are a
number of shared documents that don't have an obvious home.

So, I'm dabbling with the idea of creating a new "Sandbox" namespace,
where this material would be, and where Lindens can move things rather
than delete them.  This wouldn't be an unbounded area; we'd still expect
people to follow the wiki editing guidelines, but would be a little more
open to technical proposals that we don't agree with but were made in
good faith.

Since this discussion is about the wiki, it's probably appropriate to
take it to the wiki, so it's posted here:
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Project:Editing_Discussion#Sandbox_namespace.3F

Rob