[sldev] ESC exempt from open source and GPL licensing?

Taran Rampersad cnd at knowprose.com
Sat Nov 10 23:15:14 PST 2007

Argent Stonecutter wrote:
> On 10-Nov-2007, at 20:35, Taran Rampersad wrote:
>> Software developers aren't lawyers and shouldn't have to be. Saying that
>> the code is GPL'd attracts developers who contribute in good faith.
>
> The code is *open source*. If it matters to you so much whether it's
> GPL or LGPL or BSDL or Microsoft Reciprocal License or Apache license
> that you wouldn't contribute if it's not GPL with no ifs, ands, or
> buts... then you're not speaking for the majority of developers.
Are you?

I'm not getting personal. I'm trying to make an informed choice. I am
also wearing my asbestos underwear. Please don't get into a tizzy at my
expense; the color I have isn't a tan. Its due to misplaced flames. :-)
> LL hasn't done anything "not nice" here. They haven't even done
> anything less than any of half a dozen big name no fooling honest to
> god gen-yew-ine respected open source companies have done to finance
> the open source development that you're benefiting from. This isn't
> them being "not nice", and this isn't them betraying anyone's good faith.
I didn't say that, now did I?

> Personally, I'd rather they used a less restrictive license than the GPL.
Ahh, well, you don't like the GPL. In effect, the code is shared source
which is something BSD-type license folks would go for. No skin off my
nose. To each their own.
> But that's not a litmus test for me. Nor, given the huge variety of
> licenses in use, is it a litmus test for most people.
Its difficult to say that you're right or wrong when you generalize
using 'most' and 'more'. As someone who has written about these issues
for about 7 years, I'd suggest going with a 50/50 split. Your mileage
may vary, but I am always wary of people who prop up their statements
with 'most' and 'more' and so forth.

Well, most of the time. :-) Cheers.

--
Taran Rampersad

http://www.knowprose.com
http://www.your2ndplace.com

'Making Your Mark in Second Life: Business, Land, and Money'
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596514174/

Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/knowprose/

"Criticize by creating." — Michelangelo
"The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine." - Nikola Tesla