[sldev] Better support for the Open Source community

Matthew Dowd matthew.dowd at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Nov 14 01:47:53 PST 2007

> On Windows, I think I had to rebuild the c-ares library.... but I was on
> 1.18.5...
> Anyway: The official distribution of c-ares comes with a MSVC solution that
> more or less built ok (I used VC 2005), it only needed some love. The main
> project was missing a reference  to a file, which however was shipped with
> the tarball. Another problem was that by default c-ares used 64 bit
> variables for time computations, and LL viewer assumes 32 bits, so I had to
> change that setting (USE_32BIT_TIME or something like that) in the c-ares
> project to match LL's.

Thanks - that helps. I think I've get c-ares linked in, my remaining problems are with the Logitech LCD SDK, although I note from Rob's post that there is def now to take out the LCD support in the compile (I don't think that was in the initial drop of 1.18.5).

However, my real point is that presumedly someone in LL - namely the person that added the code which required c-ares, must have gone through the same pain/love to get c-ares to compile correctly under Windows. Presumedly, they documented this somewhere for sharing internally, so that every other developer within LL didn't have to spend time working out what tweaks were needed to the downloaded c-ares source to get it to compile into a suitable library for SL. Why isn't that information shared with the OS community?

Matthew