[sldev] UDP to TCP/HTTP - performance issues?

Tateru Nino tateru.nino at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 19:37:19 PST 2007

Argent Stonecutter wrote:
> On 16-Nov-2007, at 20:41, Tateru Nino wrote:
>>> I have to say, too, that there was a time that I would have considered
>>> the above paragraph hard science fiction. :)
>
>> I can't remember a time. I've been working with Internet protocols since
>> 1978. But I'm sure there was a time, yes.
>
> What, not even the part about desktop systems capable of virtual
> reality and being dismissive about megabits to the home? :)
>
> Don't forget, Vinge only postulated 50 kilobit links in True Names.
> And that WAS SF in 1981.
That's so, but working in the bowels of the industry it was more viewed
as an inevitability. Not today, not tomorrow, but not too long. Remind
me some time to tell you about my death-struggle with Tim Berners-Lee. :)

> (and TCP/IP isn't that old, it was NCP and stuff back then)
TCP/IP when it finally came along made a whole lot of things easier - we
virtually gave up on the unreliable protocols, except for filesystems
and broadcasts. Threw away hundreds of libraries of
make-the-unreliable-protocol-reliable code.

--
Tateru Nino
http://dwellonit.blogspot.com/