[sldev] cannot open file 'OpenJPEG.lib'

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Mon Nov 19 17:27:53 PST 2007

On Sun, 2007-11-18 at 18:10 -0500, Anna Gulaev wrote:

>         LINK : warning LNK4098: defaultlib 'MSVCRT' conflicts with use
>         of other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library
>         LINK : warning LNK4098: defaultlib 'LIBCMT' conflicts with use
>         of other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library
>
>         Being new to Windows, I'm off to the oracle at google to
>         figure out what the hell it means :-)

msvcrt.dll is the C library from Visual Studio 6. OpenJPEG upstream is
still using Visual Studio 6.

> Why is it there are so many "you might have to"s and "in certain
> versions of"s and "it's reported that"s and "a workaround"s in the
> instructions for building this? Are we not all building the same
> damned thing? It's not like I hobbled together some random compiler
> bits and libraries off some p2p networks. I have VS 2003, which LL
> uses, and I downloaded exactly what was specified using the links
> provided.

No, if you're taking the build from upstream OpenJPEG, its built with
VS6. :)

You likely need to rebuild it yourself using VS2003.

That or its a link order problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/148652

Or I guess you can't mix static and dynamic linking with the (threaded)
C runtime?

http://osdir.com/ml/gnome.lib.xml.general/2004-02/msg00011.html
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/abx4dbyh(VS.80).aspx

> Is this normal for Windows development?

Near as I can tell, yes. If there's a way to make newer VS link with
older runtimes, I haven't been able to google it yet. It is however
possible to convince MinGW to link with different MSVC runtimes using
various methods:

http://www.develer.com/oss/GccWinBinaries
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.general/378028/
http://www.pygame.org/wiki/PreparingMinGW

Eugh. Since when do I know anything about developing on Windows. Gee, I
wonder why giant monolithic C++ applications are standard operating
procedure. ;P