[sldev] [POLICY] Development by consensus (Re: Question regarding upcoming maintenance on 11/27-11/28)

Fairlight fairlight at tigress.com
Thu Nov 22 15:46:41 PST 2007

I don't think putting every decision up for a vote is really doable. As
far as I can see this would be a bit like putting every decision of a
government before each person in the country before doing something. It
slows things down to a grinding halt, since there will be so much
discussion going on that there is no time left for implementation, really,
since you never can make all parties involved agree.

In this particular case, however, people seem to be upset about not geting
an update before a feature was implemented.

Right now noone really knows if the implementation in the upcoming
maintenance will be based on what was said before. It could be something
completely different. But it _sounds_ like it is the very thing that was
discussed on the list before.

I can't speak for all, but my guess is that people are more upset about
not getting some feedback on this than about the implementation itself,
which most don't know much about, in the last and latest version, I would
guess. Most probably want to know what's going on, I think.

What would help greatly now is a statement from LL, along the lines of "A
while ago, we discussed topic xxx on the list. A lot of you had very valid
objections against the implementation as it was proposed back then. Since
we need to make progress on this topic, we refined and reworked this topic
as follows: (Insert some details about what was done and why). We
currently aim to put this into live in about 2 weeks, unless someone can
come up with a valid show-stopper condition. We know that feature xxx has
flaw yyy, still, as was mentioned on the list, but this implementation is
only the first step towards the new technology, and, once it is in place,
it is rather easy to build upon that."

So.. I think coming down onto giving some facts is better than feeling
upset and lashing out, and, in turn, feeling attacked and lashing out back.

Best regards,
  Fairlight!