[sldev] [POLICY] Development by consensus (Re: Question regarding upcoming maintenance on 11/27-11/28)

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Sat Nov 24 09:19:22 PST 2007

Anders Arnholm wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 24, 2007 at 08:14:53AM +1100, Tateru Nino wrote:
>
>> follow at Zero's office hour, but it's too late now. It's done.", with
>> an implication of holding XML-RPC logins over as a transitional, but
>> killing that as soon as possible. I don't know how anyone else read it.
>>

> That how i saw it as well, the current stuff stay until we have patched
> that all 3:rd party viewers are smoked. Or at leas we cah chane stuff
> secretly on out side without telling anyone when we like to.
>
> / Balp

While its always *possible* that there is a secret Linden conspiracy to
make sure that 3rd party viewers won't work, I find it highly unlikely
that that is the case. Donovan spent 2 hours one-on-one with me helping
me understand and debug the simple login code I was working on that is
to be used for the modular client and Which and Donovan both hung around
for an hour after Which's  official hours to be part of hour first
in-world meeting concernign the modular client (the fact that it was
disrupted by a nasty griefer was unfortunate, but the intent to
participate from the ground up was there).

The short-term purpose of the modular client is to document current
protocols and implement them in a working (if not entirely useable)
format so that we can use that as a basis for
designing/discussing/testing new protocols devised by the AWG.

The long-term implication of this will be that anyone can take the
documentation and our working code and design a new client from scratch
or modify the existing code sufficiently to create their own, if they
really want to. Lightwight clients especially will benefit from this design.

The point being that several Lindens have already, from the very start,
taken an active interest in this project, so I find it extremely
difficult to believe that there is an intent in the company to prevent
3rd party clients from working.

Lawson