[sldev] Viewer Security Record?

Matthew Dowd matthew.dowd at hotmail.co.uk
Thu Nov 29 03:38:45 PST 2007

> SLProxy does properly forward UDP and CAPS connections, but you will
> lose voice (which is a completely separate protocol making connections
> to separate servers) which is usually one of the big selling points in
> corporate environments.

This has always been my concern about the implemetation of voice - it is not corporate firewall friendly. A little ironic if the push for voice was to make SL more attractive to corporate users!

To get the standard SL working through  firewall you need to open up for outgoing traffic two pretty standard ports (which are likely to be open already) i.e. 80 and 443; three additional ports, and a block of 50 ports. (55 in total).

That block of 50 would likely to worry many firewall sysadmins.

To get voice working you need to open another three ports, and a block of 1000 ports - that's an additional 1003 ports.

That block of 1000 ports to open would give many firewall sysadmins a minor heart attack!

Matthew