[sldev] [POLICY] Development by consensus (Re: Question regarding upcoming maintenance on 11/27-

Alissa Sabre alissa_sabre at yahoo.co.jp
Thu Nov 29 04:13:43 PST 2007

> I'm not convinced that there's a certificate check taking place. There
> _might_ be, but that's one aspect I'm not certain about.

I recently noticed that SL viewer comes with a certificate.  (In a
past it didn't.)  It is installed in the "app_settings" subdirectory
of your viewer install directory.

The certificate is a self-signed CA certificate (aka root cert) for
the following DN:

    C=BR
    O=ICP-Brasil
    OU=Instituto Nacional de Tecnologia da Informacao - ITI
    L=Brasilia
    ST=DF
    CN=Autoridade Certificadora Raiz Brasileira

If you remove this certificate or alter it, you can't login to the
grid.  (Unless you pass a command line option -no-verify-ssl-cert.)

It appears that the viewer validates something against this
certificate, most likely the login server's identity (certificate.)

    Alissa