[sldev] Heads up - we're working on CMake

Alissa Sabre alissa_sabre at yahoo.co.jp
Thu Nov 29 04:56:54 PST 2007

> switching over to CMake for builds, and I got a
> start on it a few weeks ago.  As a proof of concept, we have internal
> builds

> I'll keep you all posted as we have more progress to report.

I'm sorry to say this, BOS, but you are doing it in a wrong way.

I believe reporting the progress at times is just a waste of time for
both Lindens and open source developers.  Why you don't disclose the
current work-in-progress?  You can simply make your current work
available to us as-is for review to speed up the process.  This way,

- Linden developers can receive feedback earlier,

- Linden developers can know more bugs or other problems earlier,
  (and possibly receive fixes earlier,)

- open source develeoprs get more detailed idea what's going on, and

- open source developers can adjust their projects eralier.

> We're not fully committed to switching over to CMake yet, so please
> don't ask me for availability dates.

You don't need to commit to announce expected availability dates.  You
can just say something like "this project may be cancelled or delayed,
but if it continues as expected now, it will be available around XXX."

Note that I have no objection to switch to cmake.  What I heard about
cmake sounds good.  I'm suggesting a better process to adopt cmake.

    Alissa Sabre