[sldev] Viewer with University of Michigan Stereoscopic Viewer patch released

Dale Mahalko dmahalko at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 08:54:20 PST 2007

I don't know if it was mentioned before, but users of this
stereoscopic client are probably going to take a performance hit,
since for each frame it has to render the scene twice and then figure
out the anaglyph coloring difference between the two scenes. If your
regular framerate isn't very good, this is only going to make it much
worse.

Also, if it renders the frame as a full scene for one eye, and then a
second full scene for the other, then I assume vertical sync is forced
on and can't be turned off since it needs each raster line rendered
twice, to figure out the stereoscopic differential. You can't do that
if the scene for the other eye hasn't updated yet.

Turning vertical sync off to allow tearing can be permitted if it
renders the frame only one raster line at a time across both eyes.
This allows the overall image to tear, but at least stereoscopic
effect would be preserved across each individual scanline.

Is there a hit on video memory usage? Since it has to render the scene
twice for each eye then I'd assume that is two frame buffers, plus
possibly a third buffer to merge them together.

- Scalar Tardis / Dale Mahalko